Your Cart is Empty
If you've got your heart set on getting married in one of Melbourne's beautiful city gardens, such as Carlton Gardens, Fitzroy Gardens, Flagstaff Gardens, Kings Domain, Queen Victoria Gardens, or Treasury Gardens, there's some wedding planning tips you should know before you send out your invitations.
1. You need a wedding permit to book space within any of the City of Melbourne gardens for your wedding.
2. Make sure you physically visit your preferred spaces before you book to see what kind of view you get and to decide where you want your wedding ceremony to take place.
You also have to pay a site permit fee for use of the site for up to four hours for:
There are many lawn spaces within each park.
3. Your permit must include your number of guests so you need to know how many will be coming to your ceremony before you apply.
4. You need to book your permit at least 10 business days before your wedding but not more than 12 months in advance - which can make it a little tricky with regards to knowing guest numbers! Some gardens also require you to pay a $150 refundable bond for the key to unlock the park gate bollards to allow your wedding hire companies to drive in to deliver your items.
6. You can't hire marquees for Carlton Gardens, Fitzroy Gardens, Kings Domain, or Queen Victoria Gardens as they are heritage-listed parks. Other Melbourne parks may allow a maximum of up to four market umbrellas. There is no refund if it rains on the day.
7. There's no electrical power outlets in the parks so your wedding celebrant needs a good strong voice, or a battery-operated microphone! Anything with sound can't be louder than 72 decibels.
8. You can't use confetti as it's considered litter, while rice attracts possums which are considered pests. You're also not allowed to stick decorations on the rotundas or any of the trees.
9. If you are getting married in summer, consider whether major nearby events, such as sports events, concerts or festivals, would affect your wedding. While you do get the use of your own booked space, many other events can be happening around you.
10. Car parking is extremely limited around these areas. Provide your guests with a list of nearby car park stations or suggest they catch public transport or taxis to your ceremony.
April 18, 2022
January 11, 2022
December 28, 2021
Sign up for our monthly My Event Decor newsletter for the latest products and special offers.